Thursday, November 7, 2013

Unfulfilled Longings.

All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.
Hebrews 11:13-16

I've been thinking about this idea of unfulfilled longings. In the past I've always thought of them as a bad thing, that my dissatisfaction towards things in my life were displeasing to God. What I've come to realize is that having these unfulfilled longings themselves are not the problem, it is what usually comes afterwards that is considered sinful. God has created us to have unfulfilled longings. He created us with them so that we wouldn't be content with this world, so that we would long for a better country, that heavenly one. My problem is that I tend to choose to fill those unfulfilled longings with things besides the Lord. I choose to watch my TV shows, hang out with friends, or go shopping. The truth is, nothing can fill that void besides our Lord Himself. I've found that the more I turn to these things the more frustrated I get with life, but when I'm willing to stop and humble myself before the Lord He reminds me of His goodness and my unfulfilled longings dissipate. Having Him alone is enough. 

O taste and see that the Lord is good;
How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
O fear the Lord, you His saints;
For to those who fear Him there is no want.
The young lions do lack and suffer hunger;
But they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing.
Psalm 34:8-10 

No comments:

Post a Comment