Monday, January 6, 2014

To Contend.

When it comes to everyday tasks I can be a somewhat proactive person. I like making lists of what needs to be done the next day and it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can mentally cross them off. However, when it comes to spiritual matters I must confess that I am rather passive. I could argue that I'm allowing the Lord to have His way in me but if I were being honest with myself I would see that that isn't the case, my self-will is still very strong. 

I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand I will not be shaken.
Psalm 16: 8

I've been reminded that choosing to follow the Lord is an active decision that must be made daily. It is so easy for the enemy to convince us that we don't NEED the Lord to get through the day and in some ways he's right. I may miss devotions one day and find that I have no problem getting through the day. I may even miss them two days in a row and I can still finish my to-do list. This is what the enemy does. It's such a gradual lie that we don't realize we are slowly drifting away from the path of our Lord. Then when things start to get rough we wonder how it happened. As I start off each day I must make the conscious decision to choose Life, to set the Lord continually before me. 

You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment