Thursday, October 18, 2012

This is why I teach.

Many times over the last month or so I've wondered why I chose to teach in a program like that one I'm in; there are plenty of "easier" schools for me to get involved with. Today reminded me why I enjoy these challenges as disheartening as they may be at times. Since the kids have started to get restless and are constantly asking to work with other tutors we decided to use a rotation system during our tutoring blocks so that they'd get a chance to work with all of the tutors. A couple people were skeptical about how it would work because our time with each group is short and transitions tend to take up time; but, I'm happy to say that the kids proved us wrong. The kids that usually have a hard time focusing were actually the most productive it was exciting. haha I worked with rounding to the nearest tens at my station and it was amazing to see it click with some of the ones that tend to lose focus. It was cool because not only did I get super excited but I could see that they were excited too. They were trying to act like they didn't care but I could tell that they were trying really hard not to smile when they got the problems right. I go to work each day without any idea of how the day is going to play out but it's always wonderful when my students chose to learn; this is what makes all the painful days worth it and this is why I chose to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment